Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
Cameco Corporation (Cameco) owns and is licensed to operate Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. (CFM), located in Port Hope, Ontario. The CNSC has full-time staff who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
- Facility Information
- Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- Disclosure Protocol
- Regulatory Reporting
- Other Key Topics
Location: Port Hope, Ontario
Licensee: Cameco Corporation
Licence issued: March 1, 2012
Licence expires: February 28, 2022
Start of commercial operation: 1957
CFM is a nuclear fuel fabrication facility that manufactures nuclear fuel bundles for power reactors in Canada. The facility is located in the Municipality of Port Hope, situated on the north shore of Lake Ontario approximately 100 kilometres east of Toronto, Ontario.
Focus on safety and the environment
The CNSC is committed to protecting the safety of people and the environment. Click below for current environmental and safety performance data for Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
Operating Performance of Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
The CNSC produces an annual report on the performance of uranium fuel cycle and processing facilities, which includes CFM. The report provides information on events, facility modifications, and areas of increased regulatory focus. It also tracks data on:
- public and worker radiation dose
- lost-time incidents for workers
- environmental monitoring results
- environmental reportable spills and corrective actions taken
- current financial guarantees for future decommissioning costs
Read the report to learn about the operating performance of CFM.
Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- April 12, 2021: Participant funding for the Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc. licence renewal
- March 20, 2018: CNSC releases 2017 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program results for the Port Hope Conversion Facility and Cameco Fuel Manufacturing. Results confirm that the public and the environment around these facilities are protected.
- November 16, 2017: The Commission accepts Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.’s revised financial guarantee for the future decommissioning of its fuel manufacturing facility
- May 10, 2016, CNSC publishes 2013 and 2014 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program results for Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc.
- February 29, 2012: CNSC Announces Decision on Renewal of Operating Licence for Cameco Corporation's Fuel Manufacturing Facility in Port Hope, Ontario
As part of CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place.
Other Key Topics
- Date modified: